Thursday 14 February 2013

Valentine's Day

I was blissfully unaware that today was Valentine’s Day until I logged on to Facebook today. Now, I am blissfully aware as I always hated this stupid, over-commercialized consumer holiday. To say the least, VD Day is one of the American traditions I will not be telling Ghanaians about.


On to the important stuff: Me and my well-being. As of today, I am approximately two months into my official service and over half way through my site restriction. For those of my readers who have not previously been in the Peace Corps, site restriction is a three month probationary period at the beginning of every volunteers service in which we are not allowed to overnight away from our sites unless it is on administrative business. At the end of these three months we “reconnect” with our training group at “Reconnect,” which is traditionally viewed as the light at the end of the tunnel. During training, many of the PCVs who came to help train us depicted site-restriction as a torturous three months, by the end of which every volunteer is sleeping outside, without their mosquito net, and without their anti-malaria medication, in the hope that they get malaria and are allowed to go to Accra for a medical vacation.

While I have seriously considered sleeping outside without my mosquito net to have just one night where I do not startle myself awake because I had a dream where I was drowning in my own sweat, to say I am not suffering too badly during site restriction is an understatement. Besides travel restriction, the other administratively imposed reason for the stigma attached to site restriction, is that we are not supposed do any serious work. They want us to participate in our communities passively and learn about their lifestyle and find ways we hope we can make a positive impact. I have found this to be more difficult as at times I do feel a sense of impotence. However, these occasions are definitely in the minority and typically occur when I am sleep deprived or am sweating to unusually high degree and have no way of controlling it. The rest of the time I have been happy as a clam, becoming a member of Bormase and doing my utmost to avoid any semblance of real work. Because the Peace Corps says so obviously.

So as I’m sure most of you might wonder, or will wonder once I finish this sentence, what do I do all day if I can’t do any real work? First, I will clarify: Real work is my lazy way of saying “Peace Corps project work.” Basically they don’t want us showing up at site and trying to build a school a week later. We are encouraged to develop an understanding of our communities and their most critical needs, or at least significant needs that we, as Peace Corps volunteer have the capacity to address. Then we are supposed to “facilitate” a solution. The emphasis is on “facilitate,” because our projects should be sustainable, meaning they will continue to be beneficial after we leave Ghana. We are encouraged to work with our neighbors at their jobs every day and learn everything we can about the day to day work that goes on in our communities.

Anyway, my daily schedule is highly varied. I have nothing even remotely resembling an actual job. Despite this I inevitably wake up at around 6am. My counterpart and neighbors have a knack for knowing when I have not slept well and coming over the next morning at 5:45am and waking me up during the first real hour of sleep I have gotten all night. Even if they don’t come a combination of a deluge of sweat, the neighbors radio, and those lovely screaming baby humans and goats more than suffice to shock me awake at the same time every morning. Besides this uniformity nothing else in my day to day life is particularly regular. I usually will read for a couple hours in the morning, take a nap in the afternoon, and then eat dinner and play cards in the evening at my neighbors house.* How I survive this drudgery is beyond me. I often go to farm with one of my neighbors and just recently cleared my own plot for a garden! They all love to feel the softness of my palms and laugh at how easily I bleed. Just because they have hands made of leather and use them as cutting boards (literally) they think they’re tougher than me. Assholes.

Wednesday is market day so I ride my bike the twenty minutes down the road to market. People I pass on the road have a nasty habit of trying to have a conversation with me while I am speeding down a hill right at one of the four million massive potholes on the road. If I make it through site restriction without flying over my handle bars at least once I’ll have dodged a bullet.

Besides that, I spend a lot of my time visiting people in the surrounding communities, playing football, or going to the local Junior High School (more on this in a later post.) It has been difficult for me to become accustomed to the lack of structure but I becoming used to it and expect to increase my work load through various I plan to start in coming months. None of which I will jinx before they get off the ground by advertising them here.

About six more weeks until site restriction is over but I can’t say I particularly care. It will be nice to see the rest of my training group but I plan to have a very happy two years in Bormase.

*Me and my neighbor play cards most evenings. He doesn’t speak much English, but it was sufficient to learn Egyptian Ratscrew. For those who don’t know Egyptian Ratscrew is a fast-paced game filled with slapping and heightened emotions. Ghanaians are big fans of any game that encourages yelling and fast-paced action for which Ghana is perfect. While I consider myself a rather proficient Egyptian Ratscrewer, having played for over ten years (many lovely memories playing in airports,) my neighbor learned the game and was beating me within three weeks. 

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not represent the views of the Peace Corps.  They only represent those of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment